Your metabolism–the calorie burning inferno inside each one of us. It’s such a unique mechanism to each of us and can be difficult to figure out sometimes. Some people are blessed with “high” metabolisms, they seem to eat and eat and eat, without gaining weight (lucky them), however, the majority of us have to work on it a bit more. Diet and exercise play a huge role in regulating your metabolism and getting this “fire” going inside of you. By choosing the right exercise (ah-hem, Booty Barre) which incorporate strength and functional training, you will help build lean muscle mass to help fuel your metabolism fire. Meaning you end up burning more calories before, during and after the exercise is complete. In addition to that, your diet has to be on point too. Exercising excessively and eating junk is never going to get you going anywhere…especially finding your barre body that you’ve been working hard on. Here are some foods below that have been shown to increase your calorie torching potential, so be sure to include these into your normal routine:
- Oatmeal: If you’re looking to jumpstart your metabolism, start your morning off with a bowl of oatmeal. This super food is rich in fat soluble fiber, which requires a lot of calories to break down. Eating oatmeal can also help decrease your cholesterol levels and reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Grapefruit: Studies indicate that eating grapefruit can reduce insulin levels. Lower insulin levels after meals can help your body process food more quickly and efficiently. This means that you burn more calories and store less fat.
- Hot Peppers: Adding some spice to your food can speed up your weight loss. Hot peppers, like jalapenos, contain a chemical called capsaicin, which gives these veggies their heat and causes a spike in your metabolism. This chemical also keeps the calorie burn going hours after you’ve finished your meal.
- Lean Proteins: The protein found in chicken, turkey and other lean meats takes a great deal of energy to break down. Therefore, your body burns a lot of calories during the digestive process. Protein is also an essential ingredient in building lean muscle mass, which burns more calories than fat.
- Salmon and Tuna: High levels of the hormone leptin have been linked to slower metabolisms and weight gain. A good way to lower leptin levels is to increase your intake of fish. The oil found in fish like salmon and tuna has been shown to cut leptin levels and help your body process foods more effectively.
- Low-fat Yogurt: Low-fat yogurt is one of the best foods to eat if you’re trying to lose weight and boost your metabolism. Yogurt is full of calcium and protein. It gives you the energy your body needs to keep going all day and helps you build lean muscle mass. Yogurt can also help regulate your digestive tract.
- Green Tea: The caffeine found in green tea accelerates your heart rate and speeds up your metabolism. The tea also contains a chemical, known as EGCG, that stimulates the nervous system and helps you to burn calories at a faster rate. Be careful of added sugars in premixed green teas on the market. Best to steep your own and sweeten it with agave syrup or stevia.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is rich in both calcium and vitamin C. These two vitamins work together to help you burn calories faster and more effectively. Calcium activates your metabolism, while vitamin C helps you absorb more calcium.
- Almonds: Almonds may be high in calories, but they are also jam packed with essential fatty acids which are great metabolism boosters.
Eat these healthy, metabolism boosting foods and keep your booty coming to the barre with me and you are sure to see some amazing changes in your body! Until next time barre babes….XO, Laura